This programme has been specifically designed for learners who wish to pursue a career as a Montessori teacher for children in the age range 3-6 years. It is an ideal add on programme for students who already have a Level 6, 7 or Level 8 qualification in Early Childhood. This award covers in depth the six main Montessori disciplines: Early Childhood Curriculum (Theory & Practice) Early Learning Environment (Practical Life and Sensorial Education), Literacy & Numeracy (Montessori Language and Mathematics) Early Childhood Arts & Culture (Montessori Culture).
- To equip learners with a knowledge of a wide range of educational theorists and philosophies and with an in-depth knowledge of Montessori philosophy and methods.
- To familiarize learners with a variety of curriculum materials including knowledge of the purpose of a broad range of Montessori materials and to equip them with the skills to support children’s learning in an ECCE setting
- To ensure learners can plan, implement and evaluate a Montessori programme and environment suitable for a child in an ECCE setting, with reference to the Aistear framework and Siolta principles.
- To promote in learners the ability to nurture the holistic development and well-being of the child while valuing diversity and fostering equality and inclusion
- To enable learners to reflect critically on personal and professional practice and to take responsibility for own professional development.
Minimum Level 5 Certificate/ Ordinary Level Leaving Certificate / relevant life or work experience. Full-time students subject to interview. Competence in written and spoken English essential.
Continuous evaluation will take place with final evaluation on completion of the programme.
80 hours of work practice in an ECCE setting.
Garda Vetting is a legal requirement under the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012 to 2016 for the vetting of persons carrying out work with children or vulnerable persons.
Students must complete the Garda Vetting process before commencing work placement.
Students who have spent more than 6 months living outside of Ireland will need to provide a copy of their Police Clearance Certification for all international addresses that they have lived at, before starting placement.
Delivered through the following channels
- Live interaction with the Lecturer