The aim of this module is to provide the learner with an understanding of the context of special needs, associated issues and approaches and permit the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and attitude required to work effectively, under direction in special needs settings.
- Be familiar with a broad range of special needs conditions in children
- Demonstrate knowledge of approaches to children with special needs
- Be aware of the range of roles, responsibilities and services relating to children with special needs
- Understand current and emerging legislation relating to children with special needs
The minimum age is 17 Years. All learners must have a good standard of English.
Currently, the Department of Education and Science stipulates that all those gaining full-time employment in schools must have at least 3 passes at Junior Certificate or equivalent.
Garda Vetting is a legal requirement under the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012 to 2016 for the vetting of persons carrying out work with children or vulnerable persons.
Students must complete the Garda Vetting process before commencing work placement.
Students who have spent more than 6 months living outside of Ireland will need to provide a copy of their Police Clearance Certification for all international addresses that they have lived at, before starting placement.
Delivered through the following channels
- Live interaction with the Lecturer